Tuesday, June 5, 2012

recipe: Skinny Asian Fried Rice with Bangin' Grilled Shrimp

We had SkinnyTaste's Asian Edamame Fried Rice and Bangin' Grilled Shrimp Skewers, served with grilled broccoli from the garden and some grilled pineapple rings.

I did the prep and inside cooking while my husband manned the grill.


We loved the shrimp!  The sauce was excellent.  Instead of using lite mayo, I subbed it for Greek yogurt.  I'm not a fan of mayo, plus it lowered the calories a little bit.  Anyway, I just wish I would have made more shrimp.  Can't wait to have that again!

The rice was good, but it didn't knock my socks off.  I think next time I would cook the rice in chicken broth for some added flavor.  I also think I didn't use enough garlic.  Either way, it wasn't as savory as I was expecting.  I added some extra low-sodium soy sauce and that helped, as well as a spoonful of Sriracha sauce.  It was good, but not as good as I wanted it to be.  I'll have to play around with this recipe a little more!  My husband really liked it, so maybe I'm just being too picky.

Without further ado...

Skinny Asian Fried Rice

adapted from SkinnyTaste
Stats: ~183 cals per 3/4 c.
Serves: 8

3 cups leftover cooked brown rice
2 egg whites, scrambled
1 whole egg, scrambled
1 tbsp olive or canola oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, diced
5 scallions, chopped, whites and greens separated
1/2 cup shredded carrots
cooking spray
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce, tamari for gluten free (or more to taste)
salt and fresh pepper to taste



Whisk eggs and egg whites, season with salt and pepper. 


In a hot wok, spray a little oil and cook the eggs. When cooked, remove from pan and set aside.

oh, this is exciting.

Let the wok get really hot. Add oil and cook onions, scallion whites, carrots and garlic for about 30-60 seconds, careful not to burn.

oh, baby!  look at that steam!

Add brown rice and stir well a few minutes to heat through.


Add cooked egg along with soy sauce, scallion greens and peas, mixing well for about 3-4 minutes.  


And our meal:



No comments:

Post a Comment