Friday, August 17, 2012

Pork, Apricot, Onion Kabobs

I was a little worried about this, seeing that pork is pretty easy to mess up if you haven't worked with it a lot.  And, uh, I haven't.  Not like this, I mean.  It can be pretty hit and miss...  so I was really excited that these weren't dry at all!  Just make sure that you do not overcook the pork.  It'll continue to cook a little bit even after you take them off, so when there's just a tiny bit of pink left, take them off the grill and let them sit a few minutes.  They should finish cooking and be perfect!

The grilled apricots were sweet and tart at the same time!  I love grilled fruit, and I think I might have to start adding apricots to my kabobs more often.

One note...  This did not fit on four skewers.  There was still apricots and some meat leftover, so we stuffed the meat on the skewers and ended up grilling the remaining apricots in the grill pan with some broccoli.  It turned out fine, but you might want to keep that in mind if you have a limited number of skewers, like me.


Pork, Apricot, Onion Kabobs

adapted from Martha Stewart
Serves:  4
Stats: ~253 cals per kabob

1-lb pork tenderloin, cut into 12 or 16 chunks
~1 lb apricots, pitted and halved (or quartered)
1 small onion
1/4 c. apricot jam or preserves

Thread the meat, apricots, and onion on kabob skewers.  Light the grill to medium, lightly oil grates with canola or vegetable oil so the kabobs won't stick.

Martha's recipe for the basting sauce is as follows:  In a small saucepan, heat jam, cayenne, and 1 tablespoon water over medium-low until jam is liquefied; season with salt and pepper.  We were low on time, so we just brushed the preserves on the kabobs directly.

Grill kebabs, turning occasionally and brushing with basting sauce, until pork is cooked through and apricots begin to char, 12 to 14 minutes.

 

I served ours with baked rice and peas (scroll down), and grilled broccoli.  I look forward to eating it for lunch as leftovers!  NOM.


No comments:

Post a Comment