Wednesday, June 6, 2012

recipe: Fresh Pomodoro with Grilled Chicken

Although pomodoro is a hot dish, the only time I really love to make it is during the summer.  It's just not the same without fresh tomatoes and fresh basil!  The sauce is so flavorful you'll find yourself eating it with a spoon...  or at least, I did!

Fresh Pomodoro with Grilled Chicken

Stats: ~241 cals (not including grilled chicken)
Serves: 6 medium portions

9 oz. pasta (linguini, angel hair, spaghetti)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups fresh tomatoes, diced (roma/plum, cherry, heirloom, whatever you've got!)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
14.5 oz can low-sodium chicken broth
crushed red pepper to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (use however much you like... I think it could have used more, but I LOVE basil!)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (not included in stats)  
Optional:  veggies (I used about 3 cups broccoli florets)


Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 minutes or until al dente; drain. 
Boil broccoli in a separate pot for a few minutes, just until bright green.

Pour olive oil in a large deep skillet over high-heat. Saute onions and garlic until lightly browned. 


Reduce heat to medium-high and add tomatoes, vinegar and chicken broth; simmer for about 8 minutes. 

 
Stir in red pepper, black pepper, basil, broccoli and cooked pasta, tossing thoroughly with sauce. Simmer for about 5 more minutes and serve topped with grated cheese. 


 I added about 1.75 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast that I marinated all day.  I cooked them on the George Foreman and then sliced them up to add to the pasta.  If you're looking for a vegetarian meal, try adding cannellini beans and mushrooms.  

It was a wonderfully light and refreshing pasta dish...  Reminds me of why I just love summertime!  And check out that gorgeous basil... I have a bush of it in the garden, and then a couple container pots of Genovese and Greek basil on the back porch.  Soon I'll have enough to make homemade pesto... yum!


1 comment:

  1. That looks absolutely delicious! I am going to try that ... without the pasta! lol I'll have to add the mushrooms and maybe some spinach instead and make it a salad.

    ReplyDelete