Thursday, May 17, 2012

recipe for Quick Veggie Fajita Tacos

Good morning all!

Running behind this morning so picked up a yummy breakfast at Starbucks:
Bacon & Gouda on Ciabatta, NF iced mocha

A little more calories than I normally consume (Bacon and Gouda Sandwich: 350 cals; Non-fat Iced Mocha, no whip, extra shot: 170 cals) but I figure I'll eat light the rest of the day to make up for it.  Actually, I probably won't but I'll feel better about myself if I have "good intentions".  A girl needs a hearty breakfast, you know.

I am still trying to wake up this morning, so I'll just get right to the recipe I'd like to share.  I'll try to come back later with a little more zest for life...  right now I just need to chug that coffee (thank God for the extra shot, I think I need it!) and wake up.  Normally I'm a morning person, but I think I am still hungover from a Benadryl I took last night.  This could get interesting, actually...

Right, the recipe.

Last night I tried something new, Everyday Food's Veggie Fajitas.  I switched up a few of the ingredients, but overall stuck to the general recipe.  We LOVED them!  It was definitely a keeper recipe.  Perfect for summer and very budget-friendly.  I think we'll be having these soon, especially once my garden starts producing lots of zucchini and poblano peppers.

Quick Veggie Fajita Tacos 

(adapted from Everyday Food's May 2012 issue)

Stats: ~ 229 cals each taco, using all listed ingredients; ~170 cals, leaving out sour cream and cheese
Serves 8 tacos

8 corn tortillas (6-inch; can use flour but calories will be higher)
1 cup refried beans (canned or homemade, we used homemade)
2 TBS canola oil
1 large white onion, sliced (I only had half an onion)
2 large poblano chiles, halved, seeded, and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices (we only had jalapeno available, but I think it would be even better with poblano or another smokey-tasting chile)
2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch half-moons
2 cups frozen corn (10 oz), thawed if frozen
Coarse salt and ground pepper as needed (we didn't use any)
1/2 cup salsa (we used Peach Mango from Target's Archer Farms brand)
1/2 cup sour cream if desired
2 oz shredded cheese (1/2 cup) if desired
lime wedges



1.  In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high.  Add onion and chiles and cook until softened, 10-15 minutes.

2.  Add zucchini and cook until crisp-tender (oh, that's explanatory...), about 6 minutes.  (I added a couple minutes because my zucchini half-moons weren't quite softened enough).

3.  Add corn and cook until warmed through, about 3 minutes.

4.  Using an ungreased skillet, heat tortillas on each side at medium heat.  They will be come slightly puffy when it's time to flip them over and heat the other side.  You can do this instead of heating them in the oven or microwave...  they come out fresher and crisper.

5.  To serve, spread beans on tortillas (about 1 or 2 TBS) and top with vegetables; serve with salsa and other condiments (sour cream, cheese, lime wedges, cilantro, etc.)
Dinner: one veggie fajita taco, a couple spoonfuls of beans, 1/3 or 1/2 cup Latin Yellow Rice

I would have a couple outfit posts for you, but I need to do some major laundry and ironing...  and my iPhone doesn't take good outfit pictures.  My husband is looking at getting us a real camera (nothing fancy!) this summer so we don't have to use our iPhones for everything.  I love my iPhone and the convenience of the camera, but we'd also like a camera to take pictures while on vacays or whatever.  Any suggestions?

Oh!  And, chin up...
credit: http://www.socialmedialogue.com
It's almost the WEEKEND! 

No comments:

Post a Comment