Thursday, May 31, 2012

recipe: Easy Paella

Quick post for last night's dinner...  I made Martha Stewart's Easy Paella.  It ended up being really tasty, despite forgetting to pick up some tumeric at the store.  I think I would add more veggies (maybe some bell peppers?) or frozen mixed vegetables, but I like really vegetable-dense meals.  It may be perfect for you.  We both liked it quite a bit, but I think I'll need to experiment a little more... something is missing, I'm just not sure what.  Anyway, it made SO MUCH FOOD...  so we had it for dinner last night, leftovers for lunch... and we'll have it for dinner tonight plus leftovers tomorrow!  I guess I'd half it next time.

Obviously we won't be having Bangin' Grilled Shimp and fried rice tonight (sad!), so look for it next week.  :)

Easy Paella

Stats:  ~257 cals per serving
Serves: 8

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
12 ounces chicken sausage, sliced in 1/2-inch rounds (or crumbled in the pan)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 cup frozen green peas, thawed

really bad quality, my apologies!  missing from photo:  tumeric and garlic

In a heavy 12-inch saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Cook shrimp until just pink on both sides, 4 to 5 minutes (do not overcook). Transfer to a plate.  If you need to cook in batches, that's fine.  The shrimp will cook best if you don't overcrowd them in the pan.

 
Add remaining tablespoon oil and sausage to pan; cook over medium-high heat until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add onion, and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and rice; cook, stirring to coat, until rice is translucent, 1 to 2 minutes.

 
Stir in paprika, turmeric, tomatoes, and broth, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan with a wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper.

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover, and cook until rice is tender and has absorbed almost all liquid, 20 to 25 minutes. Stir in peas; cook 1 minute. Stir in cooked shrimp; serve immediately.

My rice was still a bit crunchy, so I put a piece of foil over the pan and stuck the lid on tight so it would steam for a few minutes.  The foil keeps the heat from escaping and provides for a faster and better steaming.

not sure why it looks so red here...  I guess my iPhone was being a little wonky.


The original recipe (here) said to expect about 25 minutes of prep, 50 minutes total cooking time.  For me, the cooking time was a little longer...  my rice didn't soak up and cook completely as quickly as expected.  Once I started steaming it, however, it fluffed right up.  Just beware!


 I ate one small portion of paella and a peach for dinner.  I was a little hungry before bed, but it really was a filling meal!

Anyway, last night we had more threats of severe weather, but nothing like the night before.  My garden did suffer a little hail damage, but nothing TLC can't fix!

I managed to squeeze in a short cardio/strength training session this morning, and the past few days my cravings haven't been so out of control.  I've been trying to eat more fat and protein (per The Diet Cure, by Julia Ross) and I think it's helping!  This morning I whipped out ~25 minutes:  5 min warm up, 15 min jogging/lower body strength training, 5 min cool down.  Nothing huge, but every little bit helps, right??

I also managed to slip on the bathroom tile and bang up my backside really bad this morning.  It hurts to sit... it hurts to walk... it especially hurts to stand up from my seat.  I knew the floor was wet, and I had almost slipped twice already this morning.  I just thought to myself, "no big deal, just walk carefully".  No sooner had I said that and I slipped...  BAM.  I hit the floor so hard I knocked the wind out of myself!  I'm hoping as the day goes on, it'll loosen up and I'll be able to go about my day normally...  but right now I'm walking around like a little old lady. 

I guess I should wipe up slick spots on the tile from now on, hmmm?

Oh well...  happy Thursday!

http://bahhumpug.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment