Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Hot Artichoke Dip

I made this hot artichoke dip for a family and friends get-together over the weekend.  It was pretty popular, but I think next time I would definitely chop most of the artichokes up quite small, and only leave a few chunkier ones.  I would also double the creamy filling; it seemed that the ratio of artichokes to filling was a little off.

This is really weird.  I am totally analyzing the ratio of artichokes to filling.  Okay, it was just a little bit too "artichoke-y" for me.  It was eaten and people went back for seconds (and thirds!), but it's really rare that I think a recipe can't be improved.  It drives Uz nuts, but, whatever.  He can get over it...  it just means he has to taste-test my experiments more often, and what guy can really complain about that??

SkinnyTaste calls for light mayo, but I hate mayo of any kind, so I just doubled the amount of Greek yogurt.  That also lowered the stats for this recipe, so I can't complain.  If you want to use light mayo, go ahead... just don't tell me.  I might gag.  It's a reflex.

So, make this dip.  Double it (I did!).  And, either reduce the amount of artichokes or double the amount of filling.  Trust me on this.  Or, if you're a really artichoke-y kind of person, then don't.

Oh!  And you want a really crispy top?  At the end of baking, set it underneath the broiler for a couple minutes.  YUM.

Is it strange that I'm trying to figure out a way to make this a main dish?  I just LOVE hot, cheesy dips.  Mmmmm...

please don't mind my gigantic, unmanicured fingers...  you caught me red-handed in the dip!

Skinny Hot Artichoke Dip

Adapted from SkinnyTaste

Stats: 74 cals (if you use 1/4 c. light mayo); 55 cals (if you use all Greek yogurt)
Serves: 10 (about 1/4 c.)

13.75 oz artichoke hearts packed in water, drained
2 tbsp chopped shallots
1/4 cup fat free Greek yogurt
1/4 cup light mayonnaise (or 1/4 c. Greek yogurt)
1/3 cup grated parmesan or similar cheese
1/2 cup (2 oz) shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
salt and fresh pepper to taste
2 tbsp whole wheat bread crumbs
olive oil spray


Preheat oven to 400°.

In a small food processor, coarsely chop the artichoke hearts with the shallots.

Combine artichokes, yogurt, mayonnaise (if using), parmesan cheese, mozzarella, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Place in an oven-proof dish and top with breadcrumbs. Lightly spray the crumbs with olive oil then bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes, until hot and cheese is melted. For a melty-crispy top, stick under the broiler for a couple minutes until golden brown. Serve right away.

Can be made one day in advance without the breadcrumbs and stored in the refrigerator before baking. Add breadcrumbs before baking. Makes about 2 1/2 cups. 


No comments:

Post a Comment