Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Baked Eggs in Chunky Tomato Sauce

I stole this recipe straight from Martha Stewart.  MS recipes tend to be good, so I felt confident that it would turn out alright.  We've had a few "eh" recipes lately... I was ready for something that we really loved.

This recipe would be great for a week of breakfasts.  I would pre-make the tomato sauce and refrigerate it.  In the morning, I would pre-heat the oven and scoop up 1/4 of the sauce and quickly heat it up in an individual sized baking dish.  Make the well in the sauce and crack the two eggs, adding 1 oz of crumbly cheese.  Bake for 5-10 minutes.  Top with cilantro (if you like it!) and dig in.

Uz and I really enjoyed this dish.  It was very hearty and filling!  You don't miss the protein from meat at all, with this clocking in at 22 g protein per serving.  Very nice!


Baked Eggs in Chunky Tomato Sauce

From Martha Stewart
Serves: 4
Stats: ~ 302 cals per serving

2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 large bell peppers (red, yellow, or orange), stemmed, seeded, and diced small
1 large yellow onion, diced small
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
2 1/2 ounces baby spinach (2 1/2 cups) (or arugula or similar green)
Red-pepper flakes (optional)
Coarse salt and ground pepper
8 large eggs
4 ounces queso fresco or goat cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium. Add bell peppers and onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and cook 3 minutes. Stir in greens and pinch of red-pepper flakes, if using. Season with salt and pepper.
 
Transfer sauce to four 14-ounce gratin dishes or a 2-quart shallow baking dish. With the back of a large spoon, make 4 wells in sauce and crack 2 eggs into each. Bake until whites are set but yolks are still runny, about 10-15 minutes, rotating dishes halfway through. To serve, top with cheese and cilantro.

Note:  Martha says to cook 25 minutes, but this baked my eggs almost through.  I was pretty sad about that... I really looked forward to the runny egg!  Also, I cooked the cheese WITH the dish, and loved how it got super melty and delicious. 


I can definitely see this dish becoming a regular on the menu in the fall and winter time, when I need a cheap and filling dinner option, or an easy go-to breakfast recipe for days when I oversleep.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment