Thursday, June 7, 2012

recipe: Queso Fundido and Southwestern Salad

Good morning!

It rained all day yesterday, and only reached a high of 72 degrees.  Queso fundido was the perfect meal for a rainy day.  My husband loved it, and is already talking about putting it on chips to make nachos.  Sounds good to me!

Queso Fundido

Stats: ~123 cals
Serves: 12

12 oz chicken sausage (I used Jalapeno Cheddar)
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup pepperjack cheese, grated

Remove the casings from the chicken sausage and cook in a medium-large pan, crumbling as it cooks.  Once it's halfway cooked, add the onion and bell pepper.  Stir frequently until sausage and veggies are fully cooked.  Sprinkle the cheese on top and let melt.

Serve on a corn tortilla.



Southwestern Salad (Corn and Black Bean Salad)

Stats:  ~72 cals
Serves: 12 (1/2 cup serving)

1 (15.5 oz) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
9 oz frozen corn, thawed (or if you have time, grill a corn on the cob and scrape the corn off!)
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
1/3 c. chopped cilantro
1 tomato, chopped
2 TBS olive oil
juice of 1 lime
salt and pepper
1/4 c. red onion, chopped

Combine all ingredients and let marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.



Last night, I made a meal of a salad with 1/2 cup Southwestern salad, and one taco with Queso Fundido and a little more of the salad.  After I finished my taco, I put a little more meat on top of my salad and ate most of that.  So cheesy!



It's raining again today, but everyone is in good spirits around town because the OKC Thunder won a conference last night.  I'm pretty sports illiterate, but my husband (and everyone else on my Facebook and at work!) is pumped because of the win.  Maybe that means free cupcakes??

No comments:

Post a Comment