Tuesday, May 22, 2012

recipe: Hummingbird Coffee Cake

I stuck to the original recipe for this one, and it turned out beautifully.  I haven't tasted the finished product yet (it's for a birthday at work), but the batter was divine and the glaze heavenly.  Can't wait to nibble on a piece at lunch!


This wasn't as scary as I thought it was going to be.  I'm embarrassed to say it's my first bundt cake.  I tried to think of a way to turn this into a bread with a glaze, or cupcakes, but in the end I decided to just go ahead and do it.  The worst that could happen is it would fall apart and I'd have to run up to the store to find something else to bring for a birthday.

And the worst didn't happen.  Like I said, it turned out beautifully.  A perfect Hummingbird Coffee Cake.  I am so excited and proud of myself!

A couple tips if you haven't done this before:  Make sure to really grease up the pan with butter.  Don't be shy!  It's really messy.  Also, be generous with the flour when coating the pan, and tap it out over the trashcan or sink...  it flies everywhere like flour is wont to do.

Oh!  And for the glaze, I ended up adding in ~2 TBS extra of milk... it was way too thick.  And instead of chopping up a real pineapple, I went the quick 'n' easy route and drained the liquid out of a can of crushed pineapple and used that.  

One more thing...  When I turned the cake over to get it out of the pan, after sliding a plastic knife (they are more flexible than a real knife when sliding around bumps and curves in a pan) around the edge and the middle part, I placed the bottom of my cake container on top of the pan, layered with wax paper (for easier clean-up at work, yo!).  Then, I held it really firmly and just *BAM!* flipped it.  The cake popped right out and onto the wax paper.  Easy-peasy!

Does anyone really say that?  Easy-peasy?  Because I do.  Maybe that's weird.

Anyway, on to the good stuff:  the recipe and pics.  Please make this... it's not nearly as intimidating as I thought, and it's absolutely gorgeous!!

Hummingbird Coffee Cake: from Annie's Eats

Stats: 268 for one slice
Serves: 16

not pictured:  confectioners sugar... whoops!

No comments:

Post a Comment